Competitive cheer team reaches semifinals at nationals

Baldwin high school cheerleading chaperone

Baldwin high school competitive cheerleading team made it to semifinals at nationals.

Grace Spozarski and Eli Traud

Baldwin’s competitive cheerleading team made it to the semifinals at the national championship for high school cheerleading at Disney World. 

“We made it to the semifinals with two amazing routines,” senior Ava Wodarek said. “The experience of nationals was unreal – being able to be one of the top teams to be there to perform and experience this competition.”

Although the girls did not place, they worked hard all season for their routines to go all the way to nationals, an accomplishment to be proud of. 

At the national championships, there were 60 teams in the mat division and 32 teams in the gameday division. 

“For all of our performances, we walked on the mat as a team and off the mat as a team, and I couldn’t ask for anything more,” senior Alana Beermann said. 

Senior Sammy Davis believes that the team prides themselves on their contagious energy and excitement during performances. 

“Our strong suits are the energy we have during our performances. We all had fun and worked really hard to meet our team goals and compete at the highest level of high school cheer,” Davis said. “We performed well for both of our routines but gameday was definitely our better of the performances.”

Despite the team not placing, they did not let disappointment ruin their experience.

“We kept the spirits up even when things did not work out our way and continued to work for the best for the team,” Beermann said.

As this was her last year as a Baldwin cheerleader, senior Michaela Rohe reflects on her time at nationals. 

“This being my senior season feels like a dream. I am so grateful I got every opportunity this year. I think it was a great end to the season because we came together as a team and found our true reasons for cheerleading,” Rohe said. 

The team is ready to attack their next season with new and returning cheerleaders. 

“Some words of advice I have for new cheerleaders is to make corrections if you want to be great. Not everything will go as you want, but if you do everything you possibly can as an individual, you can walk off the mat happy and satisfied that you helped the team as much as possible,” Rohe said.