Hockey team falls to Pine Richland

The+Baldwin+varsity+ice+hockey+team+plays+in+the+3A+division.+

Ethan Spozarski

The Baldwin varsity ice hockey team plays in the 3A division.

Grace Spozarski, Multimedia Editor

The boys hockey team lost 3-2 in a close fight against Pine Richland on Thursday.

“I think we came out really fast with good energy and that kind of depleted towards the end of the game,” Senior defender Brady Zofcin said. 

The game began and Baldwin came out flying; within thirty seconds Freshman Cole Reed scored the team’s first goal. Freshman Mack Dempsay pulled through for Baldwin’s second and final goal of the game. 

Baldwin kept up their pace, but began losing might as the game continued, and Pine Richland responded to the goal with one of their own.

“After they scored their third goal, desperation kicked in and we played great but we just couldn’t score,” Junior Tanner Plinta said. “Our last power play was our best all year–it made us realize we need to play desperate all game.” 

The execution of the game was one of Baldwin’s best and, despite the loss, the team took away as much motivation as they could. 

“Our offense finally started to generate some zone time and some goals. We definitely showed more poise and confidence with the puck than we have in recent games,” Zofcin said. 

The team is currently on a two game losing streak, giving the team their first losing season in over two years. 

“I think we just need to realize that we are a better team than we have proven. If we gain the mindset that we can hang with the other teams and give them a battle, then I think we will have the confidence to win,” Zofcin said. 

The Highlander’s next game is at Ice Castle tonight at nine against Central Catholic.