Boys basketball defeats Canon-Mac

Sophomore Matthew Schenk shoots the ball over a Canon Mac defender.

The Baldwin Boys basketball team bounced back into section play and beat Canon-Mac on Friday 62-37.

Baldwin’s offense was in impeccable form — and the scoreboard showed it.

“When we slow down our tempo and move the ball from player to player, with the least amount of dribbles as possible, it leads to open shots and more opportunities to score,” Sophomore Matt Schenk said.

The Highlanders were confident early in the game.

“The turning point in the game was after the first quarter when we held them to four points. This led us through the game knowing our defense was too strong for Canon-Mac,” Schenk said.

Senior Joey Duttine also recognized Baldwin’s defense.

“I thought we rebounded a lot better than previous games and controlled the pace of the game nearly the entire time, because of our defense, which has gotten a lot better than it was at the beginning of the year,” Duttine said.

While the team succeeded in many areas, there is always room for improvement.

“Although we made a good amount of threes, some shots are still forced. It would be better for us to find more open looks in order to make more shots,” Schenk said.

With a great brother-duo, senior James Wesling and sophomore Nate Wesling, playing for the Highlanders, it’s not a surprise to see them high up on the scoresheets.

“The Wesling brothers played an amazing game, both scoring in the double figures and bringing their defensive effort along for the win,” Schenk said. “Nate Richards also impressed me with how he was still so effective even with an injured shoulder.”

Duttine complimented Schenk and sophomore Caden Cherico.

“Matt Schenk played one of his best games making three 3s and every single starter did their job on both sides of the ball. Caden Cherico also played great off the bench,” Duttine said.

While the Highlanders took care of business in their second section game, they are not hesitant to look to the future.

“Losing the first section game to Lebo was defeating and, with our goals, unacceptable. So as a team, we knew we had to really take care of business on Friday and in the rest of our games,” Duttine said.

The Highlanders play today at Norwin at 7:30 p.m.