Girls bowling picks up first win; boys suffer first loss against Belle Vernon

The bowling team’s hard work pays off with a qualification for regionals.

Evelyn Esek, Multimedia Editor

The girls bowling team won against Belle Vernon on Wednesday, while the boys team suffered its first loss of the season.  

The teams “struggled but just kept trying,” according to junior bowler Rachael Bonneau. 

While the boys lost each game of the match, all of the scores were within about 20 pins. Bonneau praised sophomore Brady Malloy for keeping his cool and continuing to bowl, even when team morale was low. 

“I think the whole team was frustrated with how they were bowling,” Bonneau said. “Bowling is very mental. If you let it get to your head it gets worse.”

The biggest challenge, according to Bonneau, is always the differences between bowling alleys. 

“It is different from house to house, and it is hard to adapt to away lanes,” Bonneau said. “The pins were not behaving like normal, and it got in their heads.”

Though the girls team picked up its first win of the season, Belle Vernon only has one female bowler. The Baldwin girls team consists of only two bowlers: Bonneau and freshman Rosemary Becker. So for most matches, it is a numbers issue, as most girls teams consist of five girls. 

Bonneau praised Becker for her improvement and resilience, and having a positive attitude despite the small numbers of the team.

“She started out not really knowing how to formally bowl, and she’s now consistently bowling a 110 or 115. Her form is getting better, and she is very supportive” to the rest of the team, Bonneau said. 

The team has a good chance of advancing to states this year, and Bonneau is hopeful for the rest of the season. 

Both the girls and boys teams’ next match is Jan. 4 against Canon McMillan, at West Pike Bowl.