Fagnilli takes inspiration from her role models

December 9, 2022

Simran Rijal

English teacher Susan Fagnili has been at BHS for 24 years.

A lot has changed since Susan Fagnilli started teaching English at Baldwin High School.

“We had one desktop computer in the English planning room and one phone in the English planning room,” Fagnilli said. “Plus, it was a completely different building. … I was in a classroom without windows, which is why I now have my blind open daily.”

Fagnilli has taught for 27 years, with 24 of them being at Baldwin. She also served for 15 years as a sponsor of the junior class.

“We heavily promoted school spirit and also planned events like junior prom. We had meetings once a month and even made matching T-shirts for each class. We had fun,” Fagnilli said of her years as a sponsor.

She has many fond memories from her early years, and she continues to approach her teaching with a positive attitude even as she has taken on teaching different courses.

“Moving into teaching Advanced Placement and college courses is extremely demanding. There is more material to cover, and a subconscious pressure for both the teacher and the students,” Fagnilli said. “With that being said, we are fortunate to be able to offer these courses, and I am grateful that I am able to fill our younger generations with a new wealth of knowledge.”

Like most teachers, Fagnilli has special memories of some of her own teachers growing up as well.

“At my schools, Mrs. Sevrin was creative in her approach to literature, plus I loved reading. Miss Ado was the kindest teacher and I genuinely knew she cared about her students,” Fagnilli said.

These moments from her own schooling heavily influenced the ways she teaches and the relationships she has with students today.

“I am so grateful for the students I have had over the years, especially the ones who keep in touch,” Fagnilli said. “I love that every day is a little different.”

She emphasizes the importance of positivity and maintaining a good attitude while students work to ensure success in the classroom and in the future.

“Always work to your best potential,” she said.