Marvel finds a new path for Black Panther character

Gage Skidmore via Wikimedia Commons

Danai Gurira (left) plays Okoye in the film, while Letitia Wright (right) plays Shuri in the movie.

Ava Bell, Staff Writer

After the passing of Black Panther star Chadwick Boseman, Marvel fans were skeptical of how Black Panther: Wakanda Forever would play out. 

The movie incorporates Boseman’s death by having his character, T’Challa, pass away from an illness. Although the movie could have mentioned T’Challa more frequently to keep his legacy alive, fans are glad they did not recast T’Challa and instead kept the Black Panther powers within the royal family.

The movie portrays the country of Wakanda trying to protect the precious vibranium and the country as a whole from foreign nations. As the United States becomes less of an ally, an unknown enemy arises between the two in the fight for vibranium. In addition, a U.S. college student complicates things by creating a machine to find the metal. 

In order for Wakanda to save itself, Shuri, the Princess of Wakanda and brother to former Black Panther T’Challa, becomes the next Wakandan to take on the powers of the Black Panther.

The movie brings in an old Marvel villain from the comics, Namor. Namor is a sub-mariner with wings on his ankles. Although this is an old, classic character, it is unexpected and therefore he is not well loved as the enemy within the Black Panther sequel. 

The movie is well made and entertaining enough to keep fans watching the whole time. Some additional, longer fight scenes could have been included as they are wanted by Marvel fans, but overall Black Panther: Wakanda Forever is a good sequel to a fan favorite movie.