Adaptation of School for Good and Evil’ gets failing grade

The+Netflix+original+was+released+late+October+of+this+year.+

Photo via IMDb

The Netflix original was released late October of this year.

Dibya Ghimirey, Staff Writer

The movie adaptation of The School for Good and Evil includes corny dialogue, inaccurate character portrayals, and a plot that does not follow the book. 

The popular book series by Soman Chainani follows the characters Agatha and Sophie, who get whisked away to an enchanted school. They get trained to transform into good and evil fairytale characters and get entangled in a battle between heroes and villains. 

The movie starts off with a distorted relationship between Sophie and Agatha, turning them into best friends who would die for each other.

Agatha’s strengths and personality are erased.  Her struggles with her features as a less-than-attractive character are erased since the actress herself is quite pretty. 

The foundation of her relationship with her love interest, Tedros, is destroyed immediately. There is no enemies-to-lovers romance between the two, and the severe lack of chemistry is noticeable in the few scenes they share. 

The entire movie feels like a glorification of Sophie – mixed with droplets of anti-Semitism when they portray her evil side by giving her a big nose. Corny dialogue overpowers multiple scenes, and prominent actors, such as Kerry Washington, are reduced to ditzy professors who have no other purpose than to turn girls into princesses and be fearful of Rafal, the headmaster. 

However, the movie does contain several redeeming qualities, such as Earl Cave, who does an excellent job of portraying the humorous and awkward character Hort, despite the lack of screen time given. 

Although not recommended, this movie is available to watch on Netflix.