Baldwin Bean gearing up for Tuesday opening

Photo via Maddison Houser

The Baldwin Bean opens for the first time on Tuesday

Maddison Houser and Kenzie Hirt

The Baldwin Bean is opening back up for its second year post-pandemic on Tuesday. 

“I think it’s extremely nice how every student and teacher is looking forward to opening day. It’s a great buzz of people asking when it is. It’s nice to finally announce it,” Eric Jankoski, who oversees the coffee shop, said.

The cafe is making two new products available on the day of opening: a cereal bar and an oatmeal cup. New pumpkin spice syrups will be available within the next week or two. Popular items such as muffins and flavored drinks will be returning.

Jankoski said he hopes the Bean will be open daily at some point this school year, but for now it will operate only Tuesdays and Thursdays during second and third periods and during homeroom, just like last year. Students will need an eHall pass from their teacher to enter.

Students and faculty have been waiting for the announcement of the cafe’s opening day.

“I wanted to wait till October so students’ and teachers’ schedules could calm down and be set,” Jankoski said. 

As was the case last year, the back room will not be open to Bean customers because it is being used as a classroom. In a future year, after the middle schoolers return to their own school and space is freed at the high school, the room will be open for students to enjoy once again. 

Just like in the cafeteria, students can use their lunch accounts to purchase items or use credit, debit or even mobile pay. Also like the cafeteria, the cafe does not accept cash.

Customers during the first week will be entered in a raffle, Jankoski said.