Giglione, keeping the beat for 3 bands, gets ready to hit the road

Photo via Addison Giglione

Freshman Addison Giglione’s dad, uncle and grandpa have all played the drums. Her dad wanted her to play as well, but she did not want to at first. 

He insisted and she eventually agreed. Now, several years later, she will be heading out to Denver this summer to play a concert through the School of Rock music school. 

Giglione started playing the drums for School of Rock South Hills when she was 10. She started in the first of the three levels of School of Rock, Beginners. Since then, she has advanced to the highest level, called All Stars, which involves sending an audition tape to judges. 

“So I originally decided to audition just for the feedback, because I genuinely thought I wasn’t going to make it,” Giglione said. 

When she was accepted into All Stars, she could not believe it. Only 20 students per region get into All Stars – just one percent of all kids who participate in School of Rock. 

“When I made it, it didn’t feel real for the first week, and now it kind of still doesn’t,” Giglione said.

When I made it, it didn’t feel real for the first week, and now it kind of still doesn’t

— Addison Giglione

She is also in a House Band through School of Rock, and she is in a third band called What We’ve Become. The House Band practices once a week and has shows every weekend. What We’ve Become is new and includes other musicians who are in School of Rock. 

Giglione’s top memory from playing with her School of Rock House Band is when she played her favorite song, “Caraphernelia” by Pierce the Veil.

“It was my friend’s last show, and everyone was super hype. Everyone played great, so it was just a really happy moment for everyone,” Giglione said. 

Giglione’s favorite drummer is Danny Carey, the drummer for the band Tool. Although Giglione does not want to pursue music as a full-time career, she enjoys playing as a side hobby. 

Over the summer, Giglione is going on tours and trips with the School of Rock All Stars and her House Band. For All Stars, she is traveling to Denver with her family and band. Giglione and her House Band are touring four places upstate. 

Giglione’s parents have played a huge role in her success, she said.

“My family has been my biggest support system since the beginning. When I had bad shows, they never let me get down and always pushed me to keep going and get better. They constantly drive me to practice twice a week and my shows every weekend,” Giglione said. 

Giglione’s father, school board President Peter Giglione, is proud of his daughter. 

We were thrilled when she made All Stars. She deserves the honor. She practices every day and is truly devoted to the art of drumming,” he said.

Outside of her music interests, Addison Giglione also served this year as the freshman class president. Class Vice President Alayna Scalon said Giglione’s passion for her class has made her a great president. 

“She uses her resources as class president to make sure that students enjoy their time at school. She expresses her opinion and she has a sense of confidence that makes her stand out,” Scanlon said. 

Chris Reilsono, freshman class sponsor, agreed.

“Addison is a pleasure to work alongside and strives to make BHS the very best,” Reilsono said. “She is creative, compassionate, smart, driven and overall, a truly phenomenal kid.”