Dedication to lacrosse pays off for Lubawy

Jacob+Lubawy+will+play+lacrosse+at+a+collegiate+level+at+Chatham+University.+

Photo contributed by Jacob Lubway

Jacob Lubawy will play lacrosse at a collegiate level at Chatham University.

Since the fifth grade, Jacob Lubawy has been playing lacrosse at a competitive level. His love for the game soon will take him to the collegiate level, where he will play for Chatham University. 

Lubawy, a senior, began playing lacrosse because his older cousin played and encouraged him to do the same. Lubawy wanted to try something new that could be a challenge, so he gave lacrosse a chance. 

“I wasn’t very good, but it was fun to start something new and something no one else does,” Lubawy said.  

Starting freshman year of high school, Lubawy decided to focus on lacrosse and stop playing football and basketball. 

“Freshman year I decided to give up all other sports to focus on lacrosse because I knew I had potential to be really good,” Lubawy said. 

He has played varsity all four years of high school. But Lubawy’s high school lacrosse career also has been through coaching changes and Covid-19 disruptions.

Even with those challenges, Lubawy says the years have gone well for him. 

“Coming into junior year we had new coaches, and it was weird with the different coaching styles but we got used to them,” Lubawy said. 

Lubawy also played for Pittsburgh Select lacrosse his freshman year, and then he played for Ultimate Lacrosse the past three years. Throughout his lacrosse career, Lubawy’s friends and family have been supportive of his goals. 

“My parents supported me all throughout my lacrosse journey, and have given me the opportunity to play all summer. They are willing to do anything,” Lubawy said. 

Teammates Colton Tamburri and Zach Meszaros have both been playing lacrosse with Lubawy since fifth grade. 

“His athletic ability is incredible, and he is a great offensive man to play with,” Tamburri said. 

Meszaros got to see Lubawy develop as a player from those early years.

“It was good because we were all kind of bad, but we all grew together. Playing travel together, he was able to get better at developing his shot, passing, leading and getting his defense better.  All of it added together to make him a better player,” Mezaros said. 

Next up for Lubawy is playing at Chatham. 

“I am more excited than nervous, but I know I have to put a lot of work in. I’m going to go into it head first and see how I do,” Lubawy said.