Looking to improve your mental health? Get involved

It did not start off as easy as it sounds because I still had to adapt to meeting new people and getting comfortable with the environment, which helped overcome my social anxiety in the end. 

Alizabeth Klein, Staff Writer

Ever since I was young, I struggled to find an outlet that helped me cope with my mental health. I have tried many sports and different hobbies, like art and music, and even aromatherapy. 

As a sophomore in high school, I’m still searching for who I am, but one particular activity I fell in love with really helped give me more meaning and purpose to kickstart that journey: kickboxing.
Finding a passion in something can better your mental health and help you realize that there is more to life than we can see. My experiences have personally helped me. 

I needed something to keep my mind off of everything happening outside of my control, whether that was family issues or school. I struggled with trying to find a hobby or passion that made me happier. I had been advised to try martial arts or boxing previously by a family member, but I was always afraid to get involved.

I finally got into boxing when I was 14 years old and it started off as a fun thing to do after school, but I soon realized it was benefitting not only my mental health, but my physical health as well, and it kept me motivated. 

I started seeing results when I gained muscle and it helped me eat healthier and feel good about the work I was putting in. 

If you want something enough, you learn to overcome your fears and take those challenges to better yourself.

I loved it and did not understand why I was so afraid to get involved in the first place. It helped me refocus and understand the importance of discipline and hard work. 

If you want something enough, you learn to overcome your fears and take those challenges to better yourself. I had a hard time realizing this when I began boxing. 

Those who are not interested in sports can also get that feeling of happiness and purpose through crafts, playing instruments, or finding something that genuinely interests them. 

Everyone has something that clicks for them, and boxing might not be the same for you as it is for me. I tried it, and it happened to have a huge impact on my life.

It is important to look out for yourself and find something that helps you cope with life around you. Nobody is going to force you to join a club or engage in an activity because that is all up to you. 

It takes time and getting used to things outside of your comfort zone before you make these changes, but you are capable of anything. And that’s the best part.