South Korean show Our Beloved Summer provides drama

The South Korean drama Our Beloved Summer is a rom-com that has touched people’s hearts by showing the reality of relationships.

Sneha Bhandari, Photo Editor

The show focuses on two high school students: the female lead, Kook Yeon-soo, is smart and coldhearted, whereas the male lead, Choi Ung, has no interest in school. 

Yeon-soo and Choi Ung film a documentary about how different their lives are, and the documentary becomes popular. During that time, they hate each other but start to develop feelings. Five years later, they are asked to refilm it, and although they have different opinions on some things, together they have learned to better themselves and grow as a couple.

Some fans might have been initially interested in this drama because one song on the soundtrack is by Kim Tae-Hyung, who is a part of the boy band BTS. But K-pop fans have grown to like the show.

The storyline of Our Beloved Summer is well done because it keeps fans engaged and eager to know more about what will happen next. It is not rushed or too slowed down to the point where the audience would get bored; the characters have a reasonable amount of time to resolve their problems. This K-drama is enjoyable to watch on a rainy day; it gives warmth.

Although in the beginning, Yeon-soo does not show much emotion, she is relatable. She has a hard time showing affection, but the way she handles situations – her thoughts and decisions – is absolutely amazing. 

Overall, Our Beloved Summer displays how even when there are difficulties, in the end, love can always be there. It also shows how there is always another perspective to a story and that allowing someone to grow as a person is essential.