Freshman Rexrode wins states in gymnastics

Freshman Abby Rexrode (left) placed first overall in the Diamond division at gymnastics states.

Alisha Katel, Simran Rijal, and Ethan Spozarski

After finishing first in the top Diamond division last week at WPIALs, freshman Abby Rexrode found a way to top it: She won states in the Diamond division on Saturday.

Rexrode acknowledged that it was a special day.

“It is a great feeling to do this as a freshman because not many do,” Rexrode said. 

Rexrode said having this success wasn’t a total surprise, but it was welcomed. 

“I knew it was possible going into this meet. But I knew anything could happen and that I had to do everything I had been practicing,” she said. 

Rexrode placed first in beam, second on floor and fourth on vault and bars to take the top overall individual score.

Along with Rexrode’s win, senior Abbey Herrle took first on the beam in the silver division.

“I am so proud of her for making her beam routine at states and winning that event,” Rexrode said

As for Rexrode herself, it might seem like there is nowhere to go after winning states as a freshman. But she already has plans.

“I hope to add some harder tricks to my routine as well,” Rexrode said. “Hopefully we can get a team win too.”

“Abbey had an amazing senior season and we are going to miss her so much. I am so proud of her for making her beam routine at States and winning that event.”

“I feel so accomplished because I have been working for this for so long. It is nice to see the hard work pay off.” 

“It is a great feeling to do this as a freshman because not many do.”