Rexrode places 1st overall at WPIALS

Freshman Abby Rexrode (left) placed first overall in the Diamond division at gymnastics states.

Eliza Swanson and Andrew Barret

Freshman gymnast Abby Rexrode placed first overall at WPIAL individual finals in the top Diamond division, while senior Mia Dougherty took third in the weekend competition. 

Rexrode’s all-around score was 37.775, with her top score coming from her win on the beam. That win, with a score of 9.5, helped boost her to the top of the podium for all-around.

Rexrode is the first all-around champion from Baldwin in the Diamond division since 1998. 

“I feel really excited to win WPIALs because going into the competition I did not know what to expect since it was my first year. It was all new to me,” Rexrode said.

Dougherty’s overall score was 36.900, and her top event was vault, with a strong score of 9.4. 

Going into the meet, Dougherty said that she was confident because she and the team were consistent in their routines. 

“I knew I was capable of doing that well. I expected to do this well because of all the practices I have worked so hard at,” Dougherty said. 

Having Baldwin gymnasts finish so well in the top division made the weekend special, she said.

“This was very memorable, since both Baldwin girls took first and third,” Doughtery said.

Additionally, freshman Annabelle Herrle placed fourth overall in the gold division and took first in the floor event.

With the state meet rapidly approaching, Dougherty is confident that the team could place high, especially after taking second overall at WPIALs over the weekend.