Girls soccer falls to Lebo

Photo from Wikimedia Commons

Boys soccer beats Hempfield in a blowout game.

Grace Spozarski, Staff Writer

The girls soccer team fell to Mt. Lebanon 6-0 on Wednesday.

Mt. Lebanon took the lead early in the game, and the Blue Devils maintained offensive pressure throughout most of the first half. 

But sophomore Cate Skowronski said the Highlanders stepped up toward the end of the first half and continued into the second. 

“I think towards the end of the first half our team mentally changed. We got more comfortable and relaxed, and we played smarter,” Skowronski said. This changed mentality was important to the second half of the game, when the team eventually changed their formation. 

Senior Megan Leary plays center mid, and said the formation change was crucial for the attitude and playing of the team. 

“It really showed us how we could play if we focused on defense more than offense,” Leary said. 

The Highlanders began to slow down Mt. Lebanon and prevent them from more scoring opportunities. 

Both Leary and Skowronski said the standout player of the game was junior Sara Scheeser. 

“She had to step in on varsity and play a new position, she really lived up to that challenge,” Skowronski said. 

While the team really stepped it up, Leary said the HIghlanders can improve on their positioning and possession of the ball. 

Focusing on communication and hard work, the team is ready for its next game this Saturday at 3 p.m. at Peters Township.