Opinion: Playing one sport all the time can take a toll

The last step of positivity and a good mindset is realizing that bad days are bound to happen. Not one person has a perfect life, and it is important to know that bad days will happen, but they cannot define overall success.

Abby Hutchinson, Staff Writer

When I first started basketball in third grade, each game and practice was an event I was excited to go to. 

As the years progressed and I reached high school, the enjoyment was slowly pulled from it as everything became more serious. It seemed as though the point of playing was strictly to prepare you to play in college and nothing more. 

Some may appreciate the preparation, but for others who may not want to play past high school, or for people who play because they just love the sport, it begins to feel like a job. 

Because of travel teams and organizations outside of school, sports are now able to be played all year round. Players feel pressured to participate in these year-round leagues because of the fear of falling behind or, often, disappointing their parents. Kids now have very little time to participate in something unrelated to their sport, as their weekends and nights are spent in the gym or on the field. 

There are also statistically proven benefits to being involved in multiple sports or athletic activities. 

In an article for the National Federation of State High School Associations, Mark Rerick writes that “athletes can learn or enhance their hand-eye coordination, balance, endurance, explosion, communication or athletic agility by participating in a variety of sports.”

Participating in multiple sports or activities can also lead to becoming a better person with multiple experiences. Well-rounded people tend to become more successful due to their broader range of skills. Universities like to see that their applicants have participated in many different activities. 

Focusing on one sport can also lead to many negative effects, such as overuse of certain muscles, injuries, and limited skill sets. Additionally, the continual push from parents and coaches to become the best you can and to constantly work at it can be detrimental to a child’s mindset. In some instances, athletes even begin to hate the sport they have been playing for years, due to the fact that it is the only thing they have done, but they do not know what else to do.  

Do not be afraid to try a new sport or something that is completely unrelated. It will ultimately be beneficial and help with many aspects of life both physically and mentally.