Senior Farewell: Have an idea for a club? Get to work

Image by Purbalite staff

Purbalite seniors evaluate their fours years of high school at Baldwin .

Lena Barakat, Magazine Editor

As a freshman, I joined as many clubs as I possibly could to find something I enjoyed. Science Club, French Club, German Club, Service Club and any other club you can think of. 

After trying everything I could, I realized none of these clubs were exactly feeding my interests. For the longest time, I’ve loved animals and protecting our planet, but there weren’t any clubs dedicated to either of those things. So I decided to embark on a journey of starting my own club. 

At first, it seemed like a simple and easy task: find a sponsor, plan the meetings, and get the Earth Club approved. It proved to be a little harder than I expected. 

Luckily, I already had a group of friends who were also dedicated to saving the planet. 

It took months to find a sponsor willing to commit to a new club with no members, but after searching we found a staff member who was also committed to our mission. 

Together, we started holding meetings and even had around 30 consistent club members. 

We planned many fun activities, like holding documentary screenings and having vegetarian potlucks. We also did more serious things, like fundraising for a water bottle filling station. 

Although creating a club may sound like an unnecessary burden, it actually taught me so much about myself and gave me new skills I wouldn’t have gotten otherwise. I learned how to persevere through hard times and also how to be a leader to others. 

If anyone ever considers creating a club or just starting something new in general, I’d say go for it. You never know what can come out of it.