What to Binge Watch: ‘The Vampire Diaries’ not just for fans of the supernatural

Viewers+who+enjoy+intense+plotlines+and+shocking+thrillers+should+consider+adding+The+Vampire+Diaries+to+their+binge+watch+list.+

Viewers who enjoy intense plotlines and shocking thrillers should consider adding The Vampire Diaries to their binge watch list.

Ali Maher, Staff Writer

Viewers who enjoy intense plotlines and shocking thrillers should consider adding The Vampire Diaries to their binge-watch list. 

The show premiered in September 2009 on CW, but can now be found and streamed on Netflix. 

The Vampire Diaries focuses on a group of teens and their deep family ties to the small town they live in, called Mystic Falls, along with its supernatural history. Life changes due to the death of the parents of the most popular girl in Mystic Falls, Elena Gilbert, plus the arrival of two new brothers, the Salvatores, and the opening of a door to the supernatural past. 

The love battle between Elena and the Salvatore brothers throughout the series will make viewers either love or hate them. 

This show is also not just intended for teens. While the central characters are teenagers, and there are occasional episodes centered around prom, graduation, and other high school activities, the show does not have a teen drama feel. Due to Elena losing her parents so young, most of the characters are forced to grow up fast, and this show also shares the lives of other young adults in the town. 

The series has an amazing ability to create and maintain strong female characters. Because all vampires have supernatural strength, the show creates an even playing field between genders. 

The universal themes of family, identity, and fear of death are the show’s primary themes, which will draw the interest of even viewers who don’t enjoy supernatural stories.