Mace project aims to establish school tradition

This is a conceptual design for the mace that the junior class president will carry at commencement.

Kevin Hutchinson, Staff Writer

In an attempt to bring a new tradition to Baldwin High School, students are designing a ceremonial mace that will be used at commencement. 

“It represents our creativity … and how we’re Highlanders,” Jaden Philips, one of the students involved in its design, said. 

A mace is an ornamental staff often carried at official ceremonies. At Baldwin’s commencement, the mace will be carried by the junior class president. 

“One of the Scottish traditions and something that we would like to follow along here with our Highlanders is to carry a ceremonial mace,” Jared Hoffman, gifted coordinator and supervisor of the project, said. 

The mace design team has added seven coins, which represent science, math, English, history, art, music, and sports. The design resembles a highlander’s kilt, and is covered in purple and white checkers. 

“The creation was hopefully a way to symbolize the values of the students as they go through the high school here at Baldwin,” Hoffman said.

Principal Shaun Tomaszewski suggested the mace idea.

“School culture… is my responsibility,” Tomaszewski said. The mace project, he said, is one way to endorse a “positive and sustainable culture” that Baldwin students can enjoy.

The production of the mace requires numerous advanced tools. In using these modern technologies, students hope to inspire others in their pursuits of science and technology.

“I think it’ll make people more interested in going down here to where all the woodshop stuff is and trying to design things themselves,” Philips said.

Students have used CAD and other software programs along with 3D printers and laser engravers. Though challenging, the process has been enriching. 

“It’s something they’ve really enjoyed creating,” Hoffman said. 

Part of the mace will be manufactured by professionals with sophisticated industrial tools. The estimated time of its completion is the end of April.

While designing the mace, freshman Adia O’Toole learned teamwork skills. 

“It’s good to have cooperation with people,” she said.

However, the project has brought some challenges.

“We had to rethink part of our design because it wouldn’t fit with the scale,” O’Toole said. “(We had to) design it so it’s not too heavy.” 

The students manufacturing the mace are proud to add to the culture of the school. In creating the mace, they are establishing a tradition that can endure for years. 

“It felt like I’m making my mark here,” O’Toole said.