Art honor society turns plastic bottles into a work of art

Junior Jenna Fox (left) and junior Jordan Gremba show off how the National Art Honor Society is turning plastic water bottles into art for a new installation.

Grace Spozarski

Amanda Booth and Grace Spozarski

The students in the National Arts Honors Society are showing that even recycled materials can become a piece of art. 

Art teacher Nicole Flannery is paving the way for the students in National Art Honors Society to hang an art installation that can be enjoyed for years. Principal Shaun Tomaszewski planted the seed, Flannery said.

“The idea was brought to my attention by Mr. T. In a brief meeting one day, he mentioned something about a hanging art installation for the atrium,” Flannery said. 

Flannery shared the idea with students in the art honor society, and the idea was a hit. 

After some research and inspiration, Flannery settled on artwork inspired by Dale Chihuly, an artist widely known for his dynamic and colorful pieces made with glass. 

Due to the school setting, Flannery decided to adapt to the situation and use plastic bottles on the installation, to create a glass effect without using that material. 

“We are in the process of spray painting water bottles, cutting them up, and attaching them to a form made from chicken wire,” Flannery said.

Flannery plans for the art installation to give off a colorful yet calming feeling. She hopes that the natural sunlight will reflect off of the painted water bottles. 

“Our goal is that it is not just a beautiful thing to look at but an experience that is relaxing and enjoyable,” Flannery said.

Juniors Jordan Gremba and Sarah Genovesi are members of the art honors society and are helping to put together the installation. 

“I think this installation is going to be a really nice addition to BHS. It is super colorful and should bring a lot of joy to the hallways,” Gremba said. 

Every Wednesday they spend their time collecting water bottles and spray painting each bottle before cutting them into strips to be hung on the installation. 

With all the changes this past year due to COVID-19, the art honor society hopes to give students something positive to look at during their school day.

“I think most students can agree that our schedules can become pretty monotonous, and I hope that new art installations give students something new to observe as they go from class to class,” Genovesi said.

Genovesi hopes the art installation inspires others, and possibly inspire some of them to join the art honor society.

“Even if students are not interested in the club itself, I hope it inspires creativity in people, to see something as simple as a thrown away water bottle create something big and beautiful,”  Genovesi said. 

The art honor society is hoping to have the artwork installed by April 14, so that it will be ready before Earth Day, which is April 22.