Lowertown mixes folk, electronica, pop

Lowertown, an Indie duo, created a great listen in their latest EP, Honeycomb, Bedbug.

Image via Indiebandguru.com

Lowertown, an Indie duo, created a great listen in their latest EP, ‘Honeycomb, Bedbug’.

Lena Barakat, Magazine Editor

Lowertown, the musical duo of Olivia Osby and Avsha Weinberg, met in their sophomore year of high school and bonded over their similar musical interests. From then on, they decided to start a band and perform together. 

Lowertown dropped their debut album, Friends, in 2018 during their junior year of high school. It was an impressive first album for such young artists and their recognition has been rapidly growing since. 

They have now released their second effort together, an EP titled Honeycomb, Bedbug. It is an eclectic album with various moods because of the time frame it was written in. 

Half of the songs on the new EP were written prior to the pandemic and the other half were written amidst it, which accounts for the differing tones and feelings in their songs. 

In the song “Tourist Trap,” which was written prior to the pandemic, the duo reflects on our modern-day school system and the effects of it on the mental health of students. They use repetitive sounds and lyrics to mimic the numbing routine associated with school. 

Overall, the messages and themes in their songs are relatable for teens and young adults, which has increased their fanbase among the youth. The duo mixes electronic and acoustic sounds to create a perfect combination of upbeat yet calming songs. 

Many of the songs on the new EP are eclectic and can’t be put into one particular genre. There is a variety of folk, electronica, and alternative pop, which may be the reason that this duo has gained popularity so quickly. Their music is both enigmatic and genius.