Girls tennis defeats TJ, qualifies for sectionals

Photo via Wikimedia Commons under Creative Commons license.

Baldwin’s boys tennis team plays in the spring sports season.

Izzy Swanson, Multimedia Editor

Baldwin’s varsity girls tennis team defeated Thomas Jefferson on Monday, 4-1, and secured a spot in sectionals.

Junior Alexa Teter said Thomas Jefferson is a strong team, so the girls had to put up a good fight to get the win. 

Freshman Gabrielle Moder played an exceptional game on Monday, Teter said.

“She played really well, considering she is only a freshman. She has definitely proven herself to be one of the best varsity players,” Teter said. 

The team is the number four seed in their section and will play another top seed in the first round of playoffs. 

“It feels good to make the playoffs, because we’ve worked extra hard to get where we are. Because we were unable to practice during the summer, we had to make up for a lot of lost time. I think our hard work has definitely shown in our game,” Teter said. 

Teter is grateful that the restrictions placed on sports, due to the pandemic, have not affected the tennis team as much as other sports.

“Because tennis is already a fairly socially distanced sport, we have not had to change the way we play or function at practice,” Teter said. 

The team’s next match is Friday against Peters. 

A lot of Peters Township’s girls have been playing from a young age, which is their biggest advantage over Baldwin. 

“Peters is a strong team, so we will definitely have to be at our best when we play them,” Teter said. 

The date of the first round of playoffs is still undecided.