Sharpsburg Islands Marina

Positivity sticks with students

by Andrea Keiser

The mission is to post anonymous notes in public places for other women to find. The point is that all women are beautiful.

Operation Beautiful, which recently arrived, unannounced, at the high school, is all about bringing positivity to people. It really is as simple as posting a Facebook status. Write something positive on a Post-It note and stick it to a mirror in a bathroom or even a dressing room.

Activities director Anissa Rosenwald was inspired after reading the book Operation Beautiful by Caitlin Boyle.  Boyle, once obsessed with being thin, speaks about her realization that she was beautiful just the way she was. Her message is to transform the way women see themselves, one Post-It note at a time.

“The most inspirational thing was that many students were taking this idea and implementing it around their city,” said Rosenwald.

Rosenwald decided to take it to the teachers, recruiting two or three teachers from each department and a few students. After getting the go-ahead from administration, the operation went into action on Nov. 14. The day kicked off with the Mission Impossible theme song and continued with positive current songs between classes.

“The whole day made me happy. It was a great way to start the week,” said junior Courtney Butler.

The reactions were for the most part positive. The attitude seemed, in general, upbeat.

Many of the girls went into the bathrooms to check out the notes, rather than fixing the way they looked.  The variety of notes had a strong message.

“My favorite note was ‘You are a beautiful cupcake in a world of muffins,’” said junior Jackie Micklege.

With so many positive reactions, the project is expected to be repeated after the Christmas break another two or three times.

For more information about the movement, check out www.operationbeautiful.com