Column: Moping along with the Smiths can provide emotional release

Wikimedia Commons

The Smiths are known for their dramatic lyrics, written by Morrissey.

Lena Barakat, Sports Editor

Teenage angst. Excessive self-pity. A quirky and obscure reputation. These are common associations with the famous ’80s band the Smiths. Most notably, the band is known for the dramatic and sometimes whiny lyrics by its lead singer, Morrissey. 

But even with the band’s various stereotypes, its music is essential to feeling alive and dealing with confusing feelings in a healthy way during this isolated and emotionless quarantine. 

The band has a grandiose collection of songs that will let listeners briefly wallow in their emotions during these disappointing times as a healthy form of emotional release. 

Many students around the world are furious that graduation, prom, and senior trips are in jeopardy of being cancelled by the COVID-19 outbreak. Listening to the Smiths during this time can help with releasing pent-up emotions. 

In the song “How Soon Is Now?” Morrissey sings, “When you say it’s gonna happen ‘now’ / When exactly do you mean?” Then he sings, “See I’ve already waited too long / And all my hope is gone.” In light of the coronavirus outbreak, these lyrics can be related to the long-awaited and now possibly canceled senior graduation for the Class of 2020. It can also be related to the anticipation for the 2020 Olympics, which have now been postponed. 

While the Smiths have a fair share of songs with angsty tones and vengeful lyrics, the band also has a grandiose collection of songs that will let listeners briefly wallow in their emotions during these disappointing times as a healthy form of emotional release. 

“Asleep” and “Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want” are notoriously the top saddest songs by the band, but with the world’s current issues, another song might be more applicable. The song “Heaven Know I’m Miserable Now,” with a self-explanatory title and straightforward lyrics, can be directly related to the present state of mind of many in society: miserable. 

In sum, while the Smiths might not be everyone’s go-to band for a light pick-me-up during these difficult times, it is definitely a band to listen to when trying to release anger and sadness. For those who really want to lean into their dramatic teenage angst, of course, listening to them at night while screaming into a pillow can provide the complete emotional release effect.