Art students win several awards

Mason Hurley and Grace Esposito

Baldwin’s art students once again did well in the Scholastic Art competition, earning five gold keys, three silver keys, and three honorable mentions.

Art teacher Cheryl Foote opened up the opportunity for all of her students to enter one or more of their pieces of art into the competition. The competition is regional, with about 20 judges.

Gold key winners were Sara Cholewinski, Nabin Pokhrel, Anthony Williams and Jillian Weaver, who won two. Silver key winners were Morgan Bell and Rachel Kail, who won two.

Sarah Genovisi, Cecilia Mancuso, and Victoria Mullaney received honorable mentions.

The top winners get a gold key and their art displayed in an exhibit at CCAC North Campus. The gold key winners then move on to compete nationally.

“My students don’t realize the accomplishment they have achieved until they see their art in the exhibit,” Foote said. “It’s such an exciting and proud moment.”

Junior Anthony Williams was awarded a gold key for his art, and felt honored to receive it.

“It feels great having some of my hard work recognized, and it really motivated me to continue doing what I’m doing,” Williams said.

Williams also congratulated the other winners for their recognition.

“I also think it was awesome seeing everyone else’s art being recognized, because we all put a lot of time and thought into our work,” Williams said. “I’m really proud of all the winners and I hope it motivates them to keep working the same way it did for me.”