McGervey looks to build on success

Adam Goldsboro

Not only does McGervey want to go back to regionals as an individual, but he has high hopes for the team as well.

Zachary Wyse, Staff Writer

Senior varsity bowler Nick McGervey is a team player who has made a big impact on Baldwin’s team.

McGervey has been been bowling for 10 years. His parents, who bowl in a league, signed him up when he was young.

“My mom and dad signed up my brother and me for a youth league one year and it just stuck,” McGervey said.

McGervey chose to continue with bowling, since it gave him new opportunities.

“I like the sport because my hard work pays off and I get to meet new people,” McGervey said.

His high score for a single game is 254.

McGervey was the only member of the Baldwin team to qualify for regionals last year. He lost in the first set, as only 12 out of 70 competitors make it to the second set.

“There was definitely a lot of pressure being the only one there from my team, and everyone was very serious about it, which was overwhelming,” McGervey said.

Not only does McGervey want to go back to regionals as an individual, but he has high hopes for the team as well. The team members work on their release of the ball and strategies for picking up spares at practice.

“A big goal for the team is to get better overall,” McGervey said. “We have a lot of talent this year.”

McGervey’s teammates know him as a selfless player and they say he plays a great role as a leader. He hopes to guide the team to a successful season.

“To be a captain and leader is a big accomplishment for me,” McGervey said.

Though the team is looking to succeed, they also frequently bond by going bowling just for fun.

Junior teammate Mitchell Clark said McGervey has had a huge impact on the team, and that his love for bowling influences everyone.

“He is a good guy. He keeps us motivated and having a good time,” Clark says. “I think he is going to carry his way through senior year and accomplish his goals in a fun way.”

Clark also believes that Baldwin’s team has a good chance to be successful this season.

“I think our team is going to grow and help to inspire each other to get better and reach the top,” Clark said.

McGervey’s love for the game means he would like to play in college, though he is focusing more on academics.

“I am hoping for a future in bowling after high school, but as of now I do not see one,” McGervey said. “I am looking forward to see what comes in these upcoming years.”