It’s tough to be the `junior friend’ of graduating seniors

For this year’s juniors, this summer will be a time to prepare for what will be one of the biggest changes of our teenage lives.

Image via Purbalite Staff

“For this year’s juniors, this summer will be a time to prepare for what will be one of the biggest changes of our teenage lives.”

Sarah Watkins, Staff Writer

For this year’s juniors, this summer will be a time to prepare for what will be one of the biggest changes of our teenage lives. Over the next year, we will be spending all of our time having fun with our best friends for the last few moments.

But what are you left to do if a majority of your close friends are this year’s seniors, who will be graduating in days?

In less than a week, all of the friends I have spent my last three years with will be standing on the football field in their gowns, ready to take the next step.

— Sarah Watkins

Being the junior friend means you’re late to everything — including graduating, turning 18, and getting into college. Yet you are also pressured to live up to the reputation that these seniors are leaving behind for you. Those are some big shoes to fill.

In less than a week, all of the friends I have spent my last three years with will be standing on the football field in their gowns, ready to take the next step. Although I have less to fear, because I’ll be in the same building doing the same things, I feel as if I’m a freshman again, facing one of the biggest obstacles of my life.

Yet I still have a slew of grad parties to attend, and virtually the next two months to knock out my last adventures with my friends. But still it seems that it’s not enough time, as the people who would make my senior year incredible are also the ones leaving now.

I hate to see them go, but I also am aware of the fact that they are leaving to conquer bigger and better things. I am so proud of every single one of them, and cannot wait to see what what goals they’ll accomplish in their futures.

As far as what’s ahead, I’m not too sure. While I hope that these bonds last, some people just can’t beat the distance. But I do want to say thank you to the Class of 2019 for giving me many memorable experiences with the best friends.