Graves bids farewell to Highlanders

Photo courtesy of Baldwin High School staff

“This school has the friendliest students and staff of any of the schools I’ve been in. There’s something very unique about the people in this building.”

Devon Schroeder, Multimedia Editor

Principal Dr. Walter Graves, who has led Baldwin for six years and who has spent a total of 26 years in school administration, will retire from education this summer. Recently he sat down for a final interview with the Purbalite.

What is your favorite memory of BHS?

“It’s hard to pick one when I’ve had so many great memories at Baldwin. This school has the friendliest students and staff of any of the schools I’ve been in. There’s something very unique about the people in this building.”

What was your first memory of Baldwin?

“I remember going on an interview with Mr. Pete Wagner, who took me on a tour of the building. I was totally impressed with the students, staff, and the building itself.”

What are you most proud of at your time at Baldwin?

“Easily, it’s the relationships I’ve made here. It’s been really nice. I feel at home.”

What are your future plans?

“The owner of the construction company in Hanover (Pa.) who built my house has many homes in construction. I’m going to be a project manager.”

How does it feel to retire from education?

“It hasn’t sunk in yet. I didn’t know how many days I had left until my secretaries told me the other day.”

What are you looking forward to doing after leaving Baldwin?

“I’m looking forward to spending more time with my wife. I wouldn’t have been able to achieve so much in my career without her support. It’s going to be nice to spend some more time with her.”