District reaches out to seniors with Day of Caring

Hundreds of Baldwin staff members and students spread out through the community on Friday afternoon for the second annual Day of Caring, completing lawn and home repair projects for senior citizens.

The program, which began last year, was created by Superintendent Dr. Randal Lutz as a way for the school to give back to the district’s older residents. While rain delayed a few projects, most were completed.

Home economics teacher Michelle Malone was part of a team that painted houses and completed home repairs.

“The citizens were so appreciative and it made my heart happy,” Malone said.

Another group of teachers, led by anatomy teacher Kent Radomsky, split into two groups to power wash a patio and do garden work.

“It was a great experience. We loved helping the community,” Radomsky said.

Seniors from AP Spanish V, AP French V, and Latin IV, meanwhile, planted flowers in decorated pots and delivered them to random houses in Baldwin to spread some kindness.

“It’s nice to know that we’re making someone smile out there,” senior Ritika Chamlagai said.

Spanish teacher Rebecca Michalski worked with the language students.

“I think the Day of Caring has given both teachers and students a much needed opportunity to interact with community members as well as give back to those in need.”

Senior Nick Vargo agreed.

“I feel great helping the community,” Vargo said. “It’s such a small thing that means so much.”

Elsewhere, students teamed up with the middle school’s Friends of Rachel club to play board games, mini-golf, and socialize with the residents of the new Sheridan Senior Living Center at Cool Springs.

“Seeing the middle and high school students take charge and interact with (the senior citizens) was great. You could tell that we made their day just by being there for them,” gifted teacher Yevonne Carlson said.

At the Whitehall Library, students volunteered their time stocking books and helping set up for upcoming events.

“It was great to be able to give back to the community,” senior Julia Gaetano said.

Staff Writers Prudence Nowicki, Joey Shields and Rachel Stofanak contributed to this report.