Creative artists take lead in hip-hop

Back to Article
Back to Article

Creative artists take lead in hip-hop

Atlanta icon Future released

Atlanta icon Future released "The Wizrd," which gives listeners different sounds through each different song.

Billboard.com

Billboard.com

Billboard.com

Connor Reiche, Staff Writer

For this upcoming year, hip hop fans should be prepared for a roller coaster of new music. With upcoming artists on the rise, popular artists looking to make a big name for themselves, and veterans providing content for all to enjoy, 2019 will most likely be the most exciting year in music since 2016.

Already this year, a mix of different artists, including some who were almost unheard of at this point last year, have released albums.

In January, Atlanta icon Future released The Wizrd, which gives listeners different sounds through each different song, and includes features from Travis Scott, Young Thug, and more.

Additionally, YNW Melly, a rapper whose song “Mixed Personalities,” featuring Kanye West, went viral over the past few months, has released We All Shine, his second studio album. He gained much popularity through this album in the past three months due to his unique mix of melodic and rap styles.

February’s releases contained Atlanta rapper Gunna’s Drip or Drown 2, Wiz Khalifa & Curren$y’s 2009, A$AP Ant’s Addie Pitino, and Father of 4 from Migos’ Offset.

The high-tier musical content from February set the tone for 2019 already, with a blend of unique hip-hop styles.

Already, in March, rising rookie Lil Skies’ Shelby, Southern rap veteran 2 Chainz’s Rap or Go to The League, and Juice Wrld’s Deathrace for Love have put an impression on the year. The various styles of music this early in the year show the growing diversity of hip-hop currently.

To compare, 2016 opened up many doors for new artists with extremely popular music from — just to name a few dominant artists of that year — Drake, Kanye West, and a newcomer named Lil Uzi Vert. Despite his controversial fashion sense and a blend of emo rock and hip-hop styles inspired by Young Thug, Lil Uzi Vert paved a pathway for even more unique artists to make music.

This year, even more diverse music is on the rise from artists much like Lil Uzi Vert, such as Lil Skies and Juice Wrld. They are making music that tops charts currently yet would more than likely have gained little recognition even three years ago.

With a healthy blend of mainstream hip-hop for the everyday listener and new, unique sounds that can change the mindset of current fans, 2019 is sure to make an impact on rap music

Connor Reiche, Staff Writer

Connor Reiche is a first year senior staff writer for the Purbalite. He enjoys spending time with his friends, listening to music, and playing video games.