NCAA Tournament rewards deep teams over star power

Photo via ACC Sports

Virginia’s core of Kyle Guy (left), De’Andre Hunter (middle), and Ty Jerome featured no freshmen

Johnny Staley, Staff Writer

In this season’s Final Four, there were three projected first-round picks for the 2019 NBA draft playing. This might seem like a lot, but that is not as many as might be expected.

Duke and Kentucky both ended up losing before the Final Four, but both these teams had three projected first-round picks each.

While it might seem like a coincidence that fewer future stars competed for the title, this also happened in 2017. The Final Four that year was Oregon, North Carolina, Gonzaga, and South Carolina, which combined only had three first-round picks. Schools like Duke, Kentucky, and UCLA each had multiple first-round picks that year, and all failed to make the Final Four.

Both years the teams with the most first-round picks in the Final Four won the championship, as North Carolina and Virginia both had two projected first-round picks. But that is still not comparable to the teams with higher-ranked players that were upset.

Still, the recent lack of starpower in the Final Four does not make much sense, with many of these teams with young superstars getting upset.

This trend shows that the most important factors in a successful college basketball team in March Madness are teamwork and experience.

In both 2017 and 2019, teams with the multiple upperclassmen and the strongest team defense have been able to have the most success throughout the tournament.

Also, the stat leaders in the tournament on almost all of these teams that made the Final Four were not freshmen, which shows how important experience is in the tournament.

Even last year’s champion, Villanova, was led by upperclassmen, proving this point even more.

Teams like Duke and Kentucky live off of one-and-done type freshmen and struggle late in the tournament, which shows a lack of experience.

The NCAA tournament does not find the most talented team in the nation. It finds the most well-built and experienced team in nation.