Interim manager deserves full-time job at Manchester United

Back to Article
Back to Article

Manchester United clearly has no choice but to appoint Solskjær as the full time manager once the season ends. United looks as dangerous as ever in large part due to Solskjær, so he has made the decision very easy for the club.

Photo via Sky Sports

Photo via Sky Sports

Photo via Sky Sports

Liam Belan, Multimedia Editor

Sports teams of all calibers experience identity crises throughout certain stretches. Fans of the English soccer club Manchester United know this more than anyone.

United was built on a tradition of winning, one that has fallen off immensely since the retirement of longtime manager Sir Alex Ferguson in 2013. A team that once thrilled fans with beautiful attacking play has struggled to find a new style — and success — under subsequent managers.

Most recently, former manager Jose Mourinho had United playing an awful defensive style that yielded terrible results. This led to his firing and the temporary appointment of former United legend Ole Gunnar Solskjær, a man who knew well about the glory days of the club.

United has seen great success since he took over, but the scenes in Paris last Tuesday reminded fans and players of United’s luxurious history, as United pulled off a breathtaking comeback 3-1 (3-3) win against Paris Saint-Germain.

This stunning result has made it clear: Solskjær needs to become the permanent Manchester United manager.

Upon Solskjær’s initial appointment, fans had been skeptical. They knew he was a fantastic player, but his management career included relegation with Cardiff City sandwiched between two stints at Molde, a club in his native Norway. Clearly, Solskjær had not managed at a level anywhere near what he would experience at United.

However, Solskjær’s result Tuesday night is the latest in his proving-critics-wrong campaign with United.

Thus far, Manchester United has just two losses under his reign, the first being the first leg against PSG, which they effectively dismissed in their three-goal win Tuesday, and the other being a loss over the weekend to Arsenal.

United has won 14 other matches under Solskjær, a run including PSG, Tottenham, and an earlier game against Arsenal.

The biggest change that Solskjær has sparked in the club is a newfound belief from the players that has not been seen since Sir Alex. Players like Paul Pogba and Romelu Lukaku have found great success under Solskjær, and the fans are also finding faith in the temporary manager.

Liam Belan, Multimedia Editor

Multimedia Editor Liam is a senior and this is his third year on the Purbalite. He plays soccer and is constantly watching or playing sports. He also enjoys...