Crosby carrying Penguins to playoffs

Back to Article
Back to Article

Crosby carrying Penguins to playoffs

Crosby has been one of the most productive players in the league, even though he has been overshadowed by Patrick Kane from the Chicago Blackhawks and Johnny Gaudreau from the Calgary Flames.

Photo via Sports Net

Photo via Sports Net

Photo via Sports Net

Mitch Davis, Staff Writer

Just over a year ago, hockey analysts were absolutely tearing apart Penguins captain Sidney Crosby for the awful beginning of the 2017-18 season the Penguins had. Turnovers, bad defensive play, and decreased production from one of the greatest hockey players in the world all signaled the end of the Pittsburgh dynasty, supposedly.

Well, that was a year ago, and Sid the Kid has put that way behind him.

Although it’s been a very inconsistent season for the Pens, Crosby has been one of the most productive players in the league, even though he has been overshadowed by Patrick Kane from the Chicago Blackhawks and Johnny Gaudreau from the Calgary Flames.

Since the 2019 NHL trade deadline, Crosby has 11 points in four games, and the team is 3-0-1, with the captain creating almost all of the offense.

It’s not just his offensive play, though, throughout these four games Crosby has a +6 rating, which is the highest in the NHL since the deadline.

Even before the deadline, Crosby had been on an absolute tear, bringing back memories of the fabled 2010-2011 season, where Sid single-handedly ripped apart every team, going on a 25-game point streak before being injured in the Winter Classic.

Crosby is the key to the Penguins winning, and he is going to be the main reason the Penguins will make the playoffs and go on a run.

Jake Guentzel is the only other Penguin providing much offense, with scoring from the secondary lines being mostly lackluster. Goaltender Matt Murray has been pretty bad this season as well.

But as of right now, Crosby has 86 points in 63 games (30 goals and 60 assists) and he is on pace to finish the season with 111 points, breaking the 100-point barrier for the first time since 2013-14 and for the sixth time in his career.

If Crosby can stay healthy and keep up his incredible play for a couple more months, the Penguins hopefully will have their third Stanley Cup in four years.

Mitch Davis, Staff Writer

Mitch Davis is a junior second-year staff writer. He enjoys writing sports columns, music reviews, and watching hockey games. If he’s not complaining...