Oliver’s take on news makes it bearable

Back to Article
Back to Article

Oliver’s take on news makes it bearable

Last Week Tonight, hosted by former Daily Show cast member John Oliver, offers a comedic take on the depressing news of today’s society.

Photo via Broadcasting & Cable

Photo via Broadcasting & Cable

Photo via Broadcasting & Cable

Evan Haggerty, Staff Writer

First airing on HBO in April 2014, the show is now in its fifth season. The show is structured like a typical late night news show. Each episode consists of two segments: a series of short recaps of news stories that happened during the week and a much longer story that covers wider-ranging and more serious topics.

These larger stories can range from big world events like the 2016 elections to lesser known but equally important topics like genetic engineering.

One of his more recent stories was about Brazil’s recent presidential elections. Many Americans don’t really care about their own country’s politics, much less the politics of Brazil, but Oliver did a great job of explaining the candidates and the global implications of this election.

He first captured the audience’s attention by highlighting the election’s sillier candidates. Once the audience was engaged, he went on to discuss why people outside of Brazil should care about this election, using humor to emphasize his points.

His main focus was on election front runner Jair Bolsonaro, who eventually would win the race, and the dire situation that Bolsonaro’s election could create for Brazil. Oliver’s humor kept the audience engaged throughout the story.

Each of the longer pieces in the series is well researched and takes weeks of preparation before the episode airs. However, Oliver’s political views are largely liberal, so that may turn off some viewers.

Despite the serious subject matter, Oliver does an excellent job throwing jokes into his stories in a way that doesn’t detract from the topic at hand. His style of comedy is most similar to other satirical political shows like The Daily Show and The Colbert Report but with a twist of British cynicism.

Oliver’s unique take on the news makes the most upsetting of news stories bearable.

Evan Haggerty, Staff Writer

Evan is a senior and a first-year staff writer. He can be found making lemon batteries in physics or in the band room arguing about the finer points of...