Ford earns offers as sophomore

Sophomore+Dorien+Ford+has+already+began+to+receive+college+offers.+

Liam Belan

Sophomore Dorien Ford has already began to receive college offers.

Liam Belan, Multimedia Editor

Many student athletes dream of being recruited by a university to continue playing their beloved sports in college. With the small number for whom the dream becomes a reality, this process usually starts during junior or senior year.
But sophomore football player Dorien Ford is unlike most recruits, as he has started getting scholarship offers this year.
“I’ve received offers from (Robert Morris University), Howard University, and Toledo,” Ford said.
Ford started at defensive end this past year for a stout Highlander defense that helped the team have its best season in years. Ford’s success has had an effect on not only the football team but all of Baldwin athletics, according to Athletic Coordinator John Saras.
“The feeling is excitement. It brings exposure to football and the athletics program,” Saras said regarding Ford’s recruitment. “We have coaches that call on a daily basis.”
Ford has been making quite the name for himself. Many people are acknowledging his talent and potential, including Chris Reilsono, one of his football coaches.
“Dorien is going to be a top-tier talent who has the potential to have an unbelievably bright future ahead,” Reilsono said.
However, Ford’s work is far from over.

In fact, thanks to the connections of the Highlander football coaching staff, Ford hopes to further his training relationship with NFL superstar Aaron Donald during the Los Angeles Rams’ offseason.
“I have to work hard every day in the offseason,” Ford said. “I’ll be involved with training from (trainer) Dee Brown and possibly Aaron Donald on the weekends, and I have to stay focused in school.”
While Ford remains thankful for his current offers, Ford has set his sights on other schools.
“I’d like to play at Ohio State, LSU, or any other Power Five school,” Ford said.
Ford will have two more years to receive offers and then accept one. He can verbally accept an offer at anytime, but must wait until senior year to officially accept. On the same note, his current offers are verbal and contingent on him staying eligible academically and physically, Saras said.
Ford has clearly been impressive, and on top of his early offers, he will be featured in the Rivals.com Class of 2021 recruit rankings. Rivals recognizes the best high school football recruits.
“Rivals are exclusive with their athletes, so to be recognized by them is a big deal,” Saras said.
Ford will look to keep his stock on the rise for the next two years to create more buzz.
“I never would have expected this. These offers make me want to work harder,” Ford said. “I need to keep my head down and keep on working.”