Sidoruk influences young wrestlers

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sidoruk influences young wrestlers

Senior Connor Sidoruk while at practice. Sidoruk has been a key member of the varsity wrestling team for all four years.

Arlen Hooks

Arlen Hooks

Arlen Hooks

Nathan Breisinger, Sports Editor

Because of a lack of athletes means the wrestling team may not win a single match this season, the focus instead is on individual success and developing leadership.

With only two seniors on the team and low numbers in general, senior Connor Sidoruk leads by example as the Highlanders’ standout wrestler.

“Connor works hard in and out of practice and he does not take it easy on others during practice, but he makes sure he teaches his teammates through his example,” junior Christian Mulholland said.

Noah Bartic is the only other senior on the team, and he praises Sidoruk for his contributions as a leader for the underclassmen.

“He shows maximum effort in both practices and matches, and he works his hardest to teach people,” Bartic said.

The most important aspect of being a leader for the other wrestlers is providing support for them, Sidoruk added.

Last season Sidoruk stepped up in a big way and became a top wrestler on the team. He placed in several tournaments, but lost in the first round at WPIALs.

Coming into this season Sidoruk has set high expectations for himself, including “placing at every tournament and making WPIALs and finally qualifying for states,” Sidoruk said.

For Sidoruk to fulfill his expectations, he will need to place fifth or better to make WPIALs and then place fourth at WPIALs to make the state tournament.

“I worked hard in the offseason and lifted a lot.” Sidoruk said. “During the season I need to work hard at practices and put my all into each match.”

As the team prepares for its matches, the small number of competitors will have an important impact.

“We might not win many matches, but we need to have the mindset that other schools doubt us, and we need to go out their and win our individual matches for the team,” Bartic said.

The program will need the current underclassmen to continue to participate for the school for the team to grow.

“I hope we can have kids stick with it,” Mulholland said. “It’s intimidating for the younger kids to match up against older wrestlers, and they will have that feeling to give up. But it’s important that they are determined to keep pushing forward.”

Sidoruk agreed.

“Once Noah and I leave, it’s pretty important that the underclassmen push to be leaders,” Sidoruk said.

Nathan Breisinger, Sports Editor

Sports Editor Nathan is a senior and this is his third year on the Purbalite. He plays hockey and baseball and he can be found watching, listening, or...

1 Comment

One Response to “Sidoruk influences young wrestlers”

1. Jeanne Sidoruk on February 15th, 2019 8:51 pm

Even though Connor is my Grandson, I recognize his full talent and tenacity in practice and matches. Strict determination is a challenge and most important, the goal. Staying focused on what is in front of him during the matches makes good sense to be a winner. What a great young man who is always ready to do more than his share.

• Sidoruk influences young wrestlers

Sports

Ford gets offers from Nebraska, Syracuse, Pitt

• Sidoruk influences young wrestlers

Sports

Softball team scores big win against Peters

• Sidoruk influences young wrestlers

Sports

Boys tennis readies for crucial match against West Allegheny

• Sidoruk influences young wrestlers

Sports

Column: After playoff flop, change will come to Pens

• Sidoruk influences young wrestlers

Sports

Wade leaves lasting impact on NBA

• Sidoruk influences young wrestlers

Sports

Boys volleyball come out on top in non-section match

• Sports

Seniors Bartic and Brandwene sign to play sports in college

• Sidoruk influences young wrestlers

Sports

USWNT looks to defend World Cup title this summer

• Sidoruk influences young wrestlers

Sports

Boys Volleyball scores rebound victory over Peters Township

• Sidoruk influences young wrestlers

Sports

Pirates look to propel to playoffs with pitching staff

Sidoruk influences young wrestlers