Art students draw their way to success

Juniors Derek Kotecki, Bridget Stehle, and Anthony Provident sitting with their art installation.

Victoria Di Cesare, Staff Writer

A total of 11 art students from Baldwin High School have earned recognition in this year’s Scholastic Art competition.

The Scholastic Art competition is one of the oldest nationwide competitions for student artists. This competition enables any student at a regional level to compete for a Gold Key (first place), a Silver Key (second place), or an honorable mention.

Students who received the Gold Key award are sophomore Rachel Kail, senior Derek Kotecki, senior Khin Lwin, who had two, and senior Macy Hale. Silver Keys were awarded to Lwin and senior Anthony Provident. Honorable mentions were given to Hale, senior Bridget Stehle, sophomore Cattibrie Bayens, junior Madison Beardsley, senior Meghan Bradley, senior Sarah Burry, and sophomore Morgan Bell.   

Kail entered one of her past portraits, called “Thoughts,” for her first year entering the competition. She won the Gold Key award for her work.

“I entered one of my older portraits that was initially an assignment, but I was really proud of it,” Kail said.

She plans on participating in future competitions with some of her other work from school.

“I think this competition is a fantastic way to express yourself in artistic and creative ways,” Kail said. She plans on continuing with art in the future, even if it is just a hobby.     

Art teacher Cheryl Foote is very involved in this competition with her students. The atmosphere in all the art classes is exceptional, she said.

“It really is just a big second family down here in the art rooms,” Foote said.  

Students will officially be recognized at CCAC and their work will be in an exhibit on display from Feb. 9-23.