Dance team to perform at Gifts of Dance charity event

Grace Esposito, News Editor

Baldwin’s new dance team will be performing at the annual Gifts of Dance charity event this Saturday in the auditorium.

Shari Opferman, the owner and director of Dance Workshop by Shari, organizes the Gifts of Dance event, which raises money for the Free Care Fund of UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh Foundation.

The performers include dancers, choirs, and other acts from music and art programs at Pittsburgh public schools and Dance Workshop by Shari.

Dance team sponsor Sara Nairn was contacted by Dance Workshop by Shari when dancers from both dance organizations told Opferman about Baldwin’s new dance team.

“I’m excited to do Gifts of Dance for the first time because it’s a way to raise money in a fun way for an amazing cause,” Nairn said.

Both the competitive and the combined dance teams will be performing separately for the show.

Junior Samantha Moore is both a dancer at Dance Workshop by Shari and a member of the dance team.

“I really like performing at Gifts of Dance for Dance Workshop by Shari, and now I’m even more excited that I also get to perform for the dance team. Shari’s philosophy of dancing for a difference is really inspiring,” Moore said.

Gift of Dance performances will be at 3 and 7 p.m. Saturday, with the Baldwin dance team performing at the first show. Donations for the charity will be collected at the door.

Grace Esposito, News Editor

Grace is a junior and news editor for the Purbalite. You can usually find her singing in the choir or watching Netflix while procrastinating instead of...