1975 changes their classic sound with new album

Back to Article
Back to Article

The album begins with the classic opener that is heard on all of their albums: the self-titled song “The 1975.” Each version of it sounds slightly different, each one fitting the theme of the album.

Photo via Amazon.com

Photo via Amazon.com

Photo via Amazon.com

Cassie Snyder, Feature Editor

After delays, name changes, and pre-released songs, the 1975’s long-awaited album A Brief Inquiry into Online Relationships finally was released Thursday night, providing fans with some new twists on the band’s classic sound.

This one starts with a slow, strong piano and a completely different rhythm than the others, but it still keeps some of the same sounds — which is representative of the sound of the whole album.

The albums starts out with the loudest, most exciting songs and then slows down with a ballad titled “Be My Mistake,” which lacks the band’s signature electronic sound. It is calming and has a classic sad-song ballad feel to it, which is different for the band.

Other ballads and slower songs included in album also stray away from the usual loud electronic sound and have a more traditional sound of guitar and piano but with the band’s signature twist.

The most interesting song is “A Man Falls in Love with a Robot/Love Theme,” a spoken-word story about a man’s obsession with the Internet that follows and emphasizes the theme and title of the album. The song, although strange and different especially for the band, is thought provoking and beautiful and one of the biggest standouts of the album.

The album closes with the haunting  “I Always Wanna Die (Sometimes),” which starts out slow but has a louder electronic sound with a still gloomy feel to it. All in all, it provides a memorable ending to the album.

This album definitely exceeds expectations. It differs from the band’s other albums with more traditional sounds and instruments like piano and guitar, but still of course follows their signature electronic hypnotizing sounds. This album is the start of a new era of sound for the band and is definitely worth the listen.

Cassie Snyder, Features Editor

Cassie Snyder is a junior and a Features Editor for the Purbalite. She participates in the color guard and school musical. You can find her clueless at...