Fundraisers show support in wake of Squirrel Hill synagogue shooting

Prudence Nowicki, Austin Bechtold, and Anamarie Martinez

Baldwin students have begun a host of projects in the wake of the mass shooting at the Squirrel Hill synagogue.

The week after the attack, senior Julia Gaetano created a banner for students to sign in support of the Tree of Life, then took it to the synagogue and added it to the makeshift memorial there. Since then other fundraisers have arose among the school to further support those affected.

Gaetano has designed shirts that people can buy online with the slogans “Light Conquers Darkness” and “Pittsburgh Strong.” All the money from the T-shirts goes to the Jewish Federation of Greater Pittsburgh for the Victims of Terror fund.

“I wanted to show support because it was local and close to home,”  Gaetano said.

There are two shirts: one is blue and the other is black and gold. They have a tree and the Jewish Star of David on them.

The T-shirt sales have already raised almost $3,000 and they are still being sold online at http://www.customink.com/fundraising/m4olpgh-tree-of-life1?side=front&type=1&zoom=false (blue and white) and https://www.customink.com/fundraising/m4olpgh-tree-of-life2 (black and gold) .

Also, starting today, the Science Club is taking orders for its sale of decals with the Stronger Than Hate logo that can be placed on cars, Chromebooks or other surfaces.

Science teacher Jon Tietz has been working with the club on the project.

“I am helping them with the process of it,” Tietz said. “I think it’s a great cause.”

Tietz is happy that Baldwin students are interested in helping to raise awareness. The proceeds will go to the wounded police officers in the shooting.

“It’s a neat thing that we can do to help out for those who put their lives on the line to save others,” Tietz said. “Whoever puts it on their window or car, others can recognize there’s a person who is standing up against the hate demonstrated that day.”

Senior Tommy Ahlin, who is a major part of the Science Club, is proud to help stand against hate.

“I think it is a really good symbol and a recognizable symbol of home,” Ahlin said. “We stand with the Jewish community. We will grow back stronger with them.”

The decals cost will $5. They can be ordered from Science Club members or through this link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf1-o2YUM1SGN7mq9xr87JfQuZLyv-iFltJOUAqY3ci7TZOIg/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1&usp=mail_form_link

Additionally, the National Honors Society is teaming up with the Globals Minds group to raise money for the Tree of Life Synagogue, honor society sponsor Chris Reilsono said.

Throughout the month of November the two groups will be accepting donations to help the families that were impacted. Students involved in National Honors Society will recieve hours for the money that they raise, but donations are being sought from the entire building.

“It’s awesome to see how civically aware students are, and I support them fully,” Reilsono said.

About the Writers
Prudence Nowicki, Multimedia Editor

Prudence is a senior and a third-year multimedia editor. She enjoys a majority of her time listening to K-pop, watching anime, K-dramas and enjoying all...

Austin Bechtold, Staff Writer

Austin Bechtold is a senior and this is his second year on the Purbalite. He can be found on the boys volleyball team, at major sporting events, and always...

Anamarie Martinez, News Editor

News Editor Anamarie Martinez is a senior and this is her third year on the Purbalite. She can be found binge-watching Netflix instead of doing her...