Tennis star serves way into state tourney

Liam Belan

She enjoys spending so much time on the court and appreciates the grind to success.

Liam Belan, Multimedia Editor

Every sports fan loves a good comeback story. Mario Lemieux, Adrian Peterson, and Paul George have made an impact on all sports fans for their persistence and battle to recovery.
Junior tennis star Bethany Yauch knows this feeling personally.
“I didn’t get to play sophomore year because I had to get my appendix out,” Yauch said.
Yauch was diagnosed with appendicitis right before tennis season, after having come off a stellar freshman campaign that ended at state playoffs.
As a junior this year, Yauch came back better than ever, qualifying for state playoffs again and earning the section championship for singles.
“It felt good to play again and help the team win matches,” Yauch said.
Yauch enjoyed several moments throughout the year, but her favorite one shows her selflessness and team-first attitude.
“My favorite part of the season was senior rec,” Yauch said. “I loved seeing my seniors get recognized. We won the match, and the posters were beautiful.”
In addition to excelling for the school team, Yauch has spent several years getting personal training, and she even leaves school early to play tennis.
“I leave after sixth period and go to Upper Saint Clair for lessons,” Yauch said. “I’m coached by Jan Irwin. I’ve gone there since I was 8 years old.”
Yauch knows that she has improved immensely over the last few years and she attributes that to her team and work ethic. Yauch’s teammates acknowledge her efforts.
“(Beth) puts more time into tennis than anyone in any sport,” senior teammate Jenna Tarson said. “She always shows determination and desire.”
Yauch believes that her playing style gives her a big advantage over the competition.
“I mix up my game. I come to the net, and give the ball different spin,” Yauch said.
“I don’t want to play like a robot.”
While Yauch enjoyed a great season, she gives plenty of praise to her teammates for having an impressive season.
“Our season went pretty well. We beat out Bethel Park to get fourth in the section and qualify for playoffs,” Yauch said. “Our number one doubles were great, the number two and three singles stepped up. The whole team improved.”
The Highlanders lost their playoff match against Moon by a score of 4-1
“We all supported each other until the end,” Tarson said.
At the end of the day, Yauch simply loves to play tennis.
“Occasionally, there are days where I don’t want to play. But once I get there, I always love it,” Yauch said. “It’s very rare that I get sick of it.”