Mr. Trapp completes last day as a substitute at high school

Paige Crawley

Thomas Trapp finishes his last day at Baldwin.

Many Baldwin students express that their favorite substitute teacher is Mr. Trapp.

Today, however, is Thomas Trapp’s last day as a Baldwin High School substitute teacher. He will be starting as a full-time social studies teacher at the Hill House Passport Academy Charter School in the city on Thursday.

The Hill House charter is designed to help students aged 17 to 21 who didn’t graduate high school and are trying to earn their diplomas.

“It’s like a second chance. It’s a population where many of the students have experience with trauma and come from tough backgrounds,” Trapp said.

Trapp will be teaching U.S. history, world history, and civics to students of all ages at the school.

“I know it’s going to be challenging, but I think building a relationship with students is really important,” Trapp said.

Trapp graduated with a bachelor’s degree from Pitt-Greensburg. Trapp began subbing at various districts across the area, but came to Baldwin all of last year and part of this year.

“If you’re thinking of becoming a teacher, be comfortable with relocating or subbing first,” Trapp said.

There are very few teaching positions in the Pittsburgh area, but nationwide there is a great need for them, Trapp said.

“I will definitely miss the students the most. There are 1,400 students here, and I feel like I have a really great rapport with them. I look forward to seeing them at football games, musicals, and other district events,” Trapp said.

Senior Amber Jones is one of the students who will miss Trapp.

“I’ve always liked Mr. Trapp. He’s always interacting with the kids and really cared about what was going on. I’ll miss him,” Jones said.

Trapp wants to thank Principal Dr. Walter Graves for being supportive and the students for being a fun group to work with.