Davic becomes nominee for Young Philanthropist of the Year

Davic is a nominee for the Young Philanthropist of the Year from the Western Pennsylvania/Ohio region of the Association of Young Professionals.

Elizabeth Solenday

Elizabeth Solenday

Grace Esposito and Elizabeth Solenday

Senior Mikayla Davic, who has written and directed her own musicals for five years to raise money for the Make-A-Wish foundation, has been recognized for her work.

Davic was nominated by a representative from Make-A-Wish, who contacted Davic’s father for help putting together letters of recommendation for the nomination. The nomination came as a complete surprise to Davic.

“When I got the call, I was completely caught off guard. It is such an honor,” Davic said.

The nominations go every year to young people who exhibit generosity and improve the community.

“We look for people who demonstrate generosity through their cause or charity, have a leadership role, and encourage others,” said Jamie Rhoades, of the Association of Young Professionals..

Davic is one six people nominated in Western Pennsylvania and Western Virginia.

“The Award for Philanthropy is a great way to recognize people who contribute to our community to better everyone,” Rhoades said.

Davic has raised $48,000 for Make-A-Wish through the annual musicals she writes and directs. Her goal is to raise $50,000 by her graduation.

Her new musical is called “Lost and Found” and will run January 3-5.

About the Contributors
Grace Esposito, News Editor
Grace is a junior and news editor for the Purbalite. You can usually find her singing in the choir or watching Netflix while procrastinating instead of doing her homework. She enjoys reading and long walks on the beach with her dog.  
Elizabeth Solenday, Design Editor

Elizabeth is a senior and this is her third year on the Purbalite. She can be found twirling flags in the color guard or singing songs in the musical. She is obsessed with all things New York City and has a severe shopping addiction.