Simulators to give golf team tech edge

Back to Article
Back to Article

Simulators to give golf team tech edge

The Baldwin golf boosters club and the high school have purchased two golf simulators to go into the golf room in Baldwin’s Wallace building

Photo via Trib Live

Photo via Trib Live

Photo via Trib Live

Natalie Zgurich and Anamarie Martinez

The Baldwin golf team is about to get a professional-grade training tool, at a bargain price.

The Baldwin golf boosters club and the high school have purchased two golf simulators to go into the golf room in Baldwin’s Wallace building — for one dollar each.

They purchased these simulators from the First Tee of Pittsburgh, a group that introduces golf to young kids, and the only additional cost will be for installation. All of the parts are included.

“I am excited to have one of our own to practice. It will help us during the off season,” junior Andy Degenhardt said.

Both simulators will be ready for use in early October, equipped with more than 80 simulated courses. The courses consists of both fantasy and replica golf courses for players to practice on.

The player hits into the screen of the simulator and the technology can track the flight of the ball along with providing the player with stats and graphs to analyze the shot.

Head Coach Steve Sinning said he does not know of any other district with a golf simulator for its personal use.

“The simulator will be able to give us valuable information that is hard to figure out on your own,” Sinning said. “It is an exciting opportunity for our program.  Hopefully it will benefit our current players and encourage future players to try out for the golf team.”

Two years ago, First Tee of Pittsburgh started renting the golf room at Wallace. When they found out that they would be losing their clubhouse in Schenley Park, they offered the simulators to Baldwin at the bargain price.

In the current golf room, Baldwin has a chipping green and two golf nets. The team is going to dispose of the golf nets once the simulators are in the working.

“Hopefully it will improve all of our golf scores to make next year’s team stronger,” Degenhardt said.

About the Writers
Natalie Zgurich, Sports Editor

Sports Editor Natalie Zgurich is a senior and in her third year on the Purbalite. She is most likely on the tennis court or walking her dog. She also...

Anamarie Martinez, News Editor

News Editor Anamarie Martinez is a senior and this is her third year on the Purbalite. She can be found binge-watching Netflix instead of doing her...