Drake and Pusha T continue ongoing feud

Eli Achtzehn, Staff Writer

Few can forget the beef that happened between Drake and Meek Mill two years ago, but it seems that the hip-hop world is getting lucky again as Drake has now begun trading bars with Pusha T.  Pusha T has been including lines at Drake’s expense in his songs for years and his criticism has finally boiled over into a series of diss tracks.

Pusha T continually criticized Lil Wayne, Drake’s early mentor and friend, on songs dating back all the way to 2006. Lil Wayne and Pusha T went back and forth for years, and when Drake joined Lil Wayne’s label, Young Money Entertainment, Pusha T began to go after Drake.

The two went at each continually as they included subliminal lines berating the other in their songs. No real beef was formed, but it became clear that the rappers did not like each other.

The actual fight broke out when Pusha T released his latest album, Daytona, and included a song attacking Drake directly. “Infrared” compares Drake’s success to that of Donald Trump’s as Pusha T claims that they both allegedly had outside help: Drake uses a ghostwriter and Trump has alleged ties to Russia under investigation.

Instead of waiting until his album came out to respond, Drake fired back on a song titled “Duppy Freestyle.” Here he not only goes at Pusha T but also Kanye West, as West was the sole producer on Daytona. Drake raps about how Pusha T has fallen off and follows up the song by posting the bill that he sent Pusha T’s label for the publicity and boost in album sales that Drake gave him.

Pusha T did not wait long to respond as shortly after “Duppy Freestyle” was released, he fired back with “The Story of Adidon.” The cover art was the first shock brought by the song’s release, as it is a picture of Drake in black face. Pusha T included this picture to exemplify his point that he also includes in his song that Drake does not represent the African-American community well enough for the large platform that he has.

Pusha T goes on to shock audiences as he goes after Drake’s family and label members, and even makes the claim that Drake has a son that he has hidden away. Pusha T name drops the mother and the child and claims Drake is not in the child’s life.

It is believed that Drake planned to announce that he was a father alongside his upcoming Adidas line Adidon, which makes the title of the diss track even more hurtful.

So far many believe that Drake is on the losing side of this battle, and with him reeling from the unwanted announcement that he has a son, the hip-hop world is waiting for a response.

Eli Achtzehn, Staff Writer
Eli Achtzehn is a sophomore and first-year staff writer. He enjoys playing the drums and can be found on the lacrosse field or in your heart.