Tony’s embraces feminine representation

Tonys embraces feminine representation

Trish Esposito, Staff Writer

Since the Time’s Up and #MeToo movements, female representation in the entertainment industry has become an issue in the forefront of many people’s minds.

This year’s Cannes film festival presented only three films in competition from female filmmakers, yet this was the best representation of women since 2011. Over 10 years, only 18 of the 180 films were created by women.

About 40 percent of the films in last year’s Sundance Film Festival were directed by women. London’s edition featured seven female-directed films out of 12.

Although Hollywood continues to fall behind, Broadway’s Tony Awards  gave female producers, directors, and writers several nods this year.

The Tonys nominated fierce contenders such as Marianne Elliott, who directed the Angels in America revival, and Tina Landau, who directed SpongeBob SquarePants.

Although J.K. Rowling was not credited as the writer of Cursed Child, she and Sonia Friedman, one of the most successful producers in London, were nominated as two of the three lead producers.

The leading contender for Best Book of a Musical is Tina Fey for the infamous Mean Girls, and Lucy Kirkwood and Claire van Kampen were nominated for their plays The Children and Farinelli and the King.

Musicals that discuss the issues of gender politics were given several nods as well.

The revival of Carousel, a story of a man who commits suicide and encounters the daughter he never knew when he’s permitted to revisit earth one day, scored 11 nominations, including Best Revival of a Musical.

My Fair Lady, a retelling of the story of Eliza Doolittle, where an uneducated poor woman takes speech and manners lessons from professor Henry Higgins to become a lady, achieved six nominations.

Most of the entertainment industry has a ton of progression to make, but 2018 was a great start in raising awareness. It’s time that entertainment encompasses all perspectives of life, including male and female.