Summer leaves more time for students to work

Photo via Flickr under Creative Commons License.

Areanna Bivens, Photo Editor

Turning the great age of 16 comes with many perks, such as driving and becoming more independent. However it also comes with great responsibility.

As soon as teenagers turn 16, most parents encourage them to get jobs. They say it will help teens learn how the real world works. It will teach them how to deal with money and have more willpower when it comes to spending money.

While getting a summer job and making money to spend almost however they want is definitely a positive, many students seem to have had summer jobs that made them cringe and wonder why they were ever thrown out into this cruel world in the first place.

Though some teens try to avoid fast-food chains at all costs, some actually that work.

“My best summer job is KFC because I’m a professional chicken distributor,” senior Jordan Rush said.

Others, though, say that the best summer jobs steer away from dealing with fast food and unfamiliar people. Seniors Jaden Castine, Carly Santillo, and Brittany Faust all agreed that their best summer jobs were babysitting.  

While one might think working at an Italian ice parlor may be the best summer job out there, Santillo disagrees.

“My worst summer job was working at Rita’s. I got called off a lot, and when I did work I always smelled like Rita’s,” Santillo said.

Senior Shannon Gralish’s opinion on working at Rita’s during the summer is conflicted.

“My worst summer job is Rita’s and my best summer job is also Rita’s. It’s either great or horrible depending on the people,” Gralish said.

Senior Hannah Conlan has a different outlook on working at an ice cream parlor.

“My favorite job is working at Page’s Ice Cream because I get tips and free ice cream. My worst is doing yard work for my family,” Conlan said.

Customers, fast food, and other issues can be annoying at times, but the freedom teens get with the ability to get a job and make money is often worth it in the end.