Charlie Puth’s new album lives to expectations

Charlie Puths new album lives to expectations

Mandi Bruni, Design Editor

Charlie Puth’s much-anticipated sophomore album, Voicenotes, embodies a lot of what his fans expect from this self-produced artist.

Puth has routinely made all of his radio hits starting with melodies he likes and thinks up on his own, paired with lyrics that speak to his current lifestyle and approach in life. His background in music production and perfect pitch combine to fully express his new journey through Voicenotes.

Unlike his first album, Nine Track Mind, Voicenotes has more of a cynical look on love and relationships. It is fitting that as Puth grows, the music he produces will continue to grow and reflect the things he’s going through, whether that be new love or many failed attempts leading to a breakup.

Songs like “The Way I Am,” and “Somebody Told Me” paint a clear picture of what Puth is experiencing through unrequited love and finding validation in his feelings.

Puth also features big names like James Taylor, Boyz II Men, and Kehlani on this album, which speaks to how diverse his songs have become.

As far as how the overall tracks sound, Puth hasn’t changed much in terms of contemporary R&B club beats layered with the customized funky noises he adds to almost all of the tracks.

As an overall sound, Voicenotes stays true to Puth’s creative roots while offering a new cohesive vibe to the Charlie Puth his fans thought they knew.