A new debate stirs confusion

Mogan Ott, Staff Writer

Several years ago the Internet debated the color of a dress, and then later the same arguments started over the color of a shoe.

Now the debate has moved from sight to sound: Is it Laurel, or is it Yanny?

The audio clip is a recording of a recording of the pronunciation of the word “laurel”  from vocabulary.com, which is why the audio sounds more distorted than if people were to look it up for themselves.

The “Yanny” sound comes from a higher frequency while the “Laurel” is a lower frequency, which is why some people pick up on one word rather than the other. However, there are some people who are able to pick up on both words.

This discovery was made by a Georgia high school student who looked up the pronunciation of the word “laurel” for one of her classes. The debate has of course reached Baldwin as well.

“I heard “Yanny” originally, but now I am able to hear “Laurel” as well,” senior Gavin Hackel said.

This is the case for many students. After listening to the audio clip multiple times, they were able to pick up on both words.

“I could hear both words after listening to the video over and over,” senior Damian Pfaff said.

Since the clip went viral on social media, there have been a few other audio clips that have people debating over which word they hear.

Viral debates like the color of the dress or shoe and this new audio clip seem to pop up every year or so and become the most talked about thing for a week or so, and then they disappear.

The reason these pictures and audio clips go viral is because they allow each person to see how their perception of the picture or audio can differ from someone else’s perception. This difference in perception interests social media users, which makes these debates so popular, even if they don’t last very long.

The only question is: what color or sound debate will go viral next?