Assassins become popular amongst upperclassmen

Photo via Amazon under Creative Commons license.

Michaela Cavataio, Feature Editor

With the second semester of school in full steam and the rush to get just one last test in before Easter break, seniors and juniors are focusing on what really matters: not getting squirted by water guns.  

The game of Assassins has become an annual tradition among teenagers. The rules of the game are easy: A team of three people are assigned another team whose members they must hunt down and squirt with water guns in order to move on to the next round.

The challenge is that while they are hunting their targets, another team is hunting them. This causes mass paranoia, as no one knows who is tracking whom, or when there may a surprise attack due to the fact that the only safe grounds are school and work.

What once may have been considered just a joke between friends has now become a phenomenon within many school districts. The game causes teenagers to form or break alliances, create plots to get their targets out in the open, and make impressive moves in order to win the cash prize.

The game is also accompanied with a tip line on Twitter, to which people can post tips when a target is spotted out in public, or teams can communicate against a common target.

Though the game may seem adolescent to adults, it brings classmates together in a fun rite of spring that also offers a cash prize.